Skidmore in Bee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Aransas Creek Settlers
In 1850 Patrick Fadden sold to Ft. Merrill corn and vegetables from 1835 land grant of his uncle, Father John Thomas Malloy. Fadden and W.R. Hayes freighted supplies to settlers in 1860's. Hays had early post office in his home, 1870; was county judge 1876-92. John Wilson, an 1850's upcreek settler, brought first Durham cattle to country; built one of first wooden fences, enclosing 600 acres of homesite with rough heart pine plank.
On creek's north bank stood ranch of Frank O. Skidmore, founder of Skidmore, who gained fame for building first barbed wire fence and windmill in county. He promoted breeding of registered Herefords and in 1886 gave much of right-of-way to the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad.
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 198.)
Location. Touch for map. At Skidmore Historical Society museum. Marker is in this post office area: Skidmore TX 78389, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Papalote Creek (approx. 8.2 miles away); Beeville on the Poesta (approx. 11.1 miles away); Bee County Courthouse (approx. 11.1 miles away); Commercial National Bank (approx. 11.1 miles away); Douglas A4 Skyhawk (approx. 11.1 miles away); McClanahan House (approx. 11.1 miles away); First National Bank of Beeville (approx. 11.1 miles away); St. Rose Cemetery (approx. 11.4 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 940 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.