Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Home of Governor Telfair
Erected 1954 by Georgia HIstorical Commission. (Marker Number 121-13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 28.157′ N, 81° 56.862′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and East Boundry Street, on the right when traveling west on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia’s First School of Medicine (approx. ¼ mile away); Troop K Georgia Cavalry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga Thankful Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); De L Aigle Brick Yard (approx. half a mile away); Signal Corps Aviation School (approx. half a mile away); Georgia's State Capital (approx. half a mile away); The First Academy of Richmond County (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . The New Georgia Encyclopedia, Edward Telfair. Telfair formed a partnership with his brother and Basil Cowper, another Scotsman, and became one of the most successful merchants in colonial Georgia. Telfair joined Joseph Habersham, Noble W. Jones, John Milledge, and other Liberty Boys in breaking into the royal magazine and making off with 600 pounds of powder. (Submitted on June 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.