Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1972 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.734′ N, 89° 23.241′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of North Pinckney Street and East Gilman Street, on the right when traveling north on North Pinckney Street. Touch for map. The marker is on the ground in front of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 423 North Pinckney Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierce House (a few steps from this marker); Kendall House (within shouting distance of this marker); Keenan House (within shouting distance Keyes House (within shouting distance of this marker); Period Garden Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Mansion Hill Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Timothy Brown House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Governor's Mansion (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Bashford House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "From 1865 to 1915 the house was owned by Morris and Anna Fuller. Morris Fuller was a distributor of agricultural implements, a business that was to become one of the mainstays of the Madison economy. The Fullers' daughter, Sarah, married lawyer and politician Robert Bashford and they lived in the house together from 1889 until 1911. August Kutzbock is known to have done some of the drawings for finishing the house, and it is probable that he also drew the original design."
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,550 times since then and 172 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.