Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. John's Episcopal Church
In 1890, 75 members of St. Paul's Church (founded 1867) in Old Decatur, split away from the church over the location of a new building. Newcomers to the parish and city wanted to build it in New Decatur/Albany, near their homes. Longtime St. Paul's members preferred the Old Decatur location. So a second parish, St. John's, was established and admitted to the Diocese of Alabama in 1891. The women of the parish formed the Guild of St. John's Church in 1891, and worked tirelessly through the decades to meet the needs of the new congregation. The all-male vestry set the direction of the church, but regularly requested monetary and volunteer assistance from the Guild, which raised money by making and selling homemade ice cream, cakes, and aprons. The Guild is credited with keeping St. John's afloat as the new church struggled financially. The first woman was elected to the vestry in 1973.
(continued on the other side)
(continued from the other side)
On February 19, 1893, the growing congregation dedicated its first church, a Gothic-style wooden edifice erected for less than $2,000. This building, which originally faced Jackson Street, was turned ninety degrees westward to face Second Avenue in 1940. Now encased in stone, the 1893 building forms the nucleus of the present church. A tall
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 34° 36.019′ N, 86° 59.038′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on Gordon Drive, SE. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Gordon Dr. SE Decatur Al 35601, Decatur AL 35601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Decatur Daily (approx. ¼ mile away); Albany (approx. ¼ mile away); Beauty and Hope (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carolyn Cortner Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); Social and Cultural Opportunities Health and Civic Welfare (approx. 0.4 miles away); Recreation and Refreshment (approx. 0.4 miles away); War in Vietnam (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.