Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Old Fisk Building

 
 
The Old Fisk Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2010
1. The Old Fisk Building Marker
Inscription. One of the pioneer structures in Murphys, built after the great fire of 1859 by Freeman Dunbar and Company and called Union Saloon and Bowling Alley. It was operated in the 1870ís by W.C. Crispin, and in the 1880ís by Charles E. Fisk. Later it was a general store operated by Frank W. Fisk. In 1902 the Post Office was moved here with Frank Fisk as Postmaster until 1939. A drugstore was also a part of the building until circa 1955 operated by Tom Trueworthy. His wife Mary ran a small public library within the store. It was purchased by Jim Riggs in 1961 on a “Handshake” from Frank Fiskís son Fred and operated by him as a tonsorial parlor until being recently turned into a silversmith and art gallery.
 
Erected 2001 by Grand Parlor – Native Sons of the Golden West, Clare D. McCullough, Grand President.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 8.258′ N, 120° 27.883′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 431 Main Street, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
The Old Fisk Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2010
2. The Old Fisk Building and Marker
Marker is mounted on the front of the building between the two entrance doors.
are within walking distance of this marker. Murphys Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Sperry Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Segale Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter L. Traver Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Thompson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); E Clampus Vitus (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. James D. Savage (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
 
Regarding The Old Fisk Building. A tonsorial parlor, as mentioned in marker text, is a barber shop.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement