Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Odem in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Meansville and Kaleta

 
 
Meansville and Kaleta Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
1. Meansville and Kaleta Marker
Inscription.
Meansville
(3 miles southeast)
Col. William Marshall Means, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, came to San Patricio County with his family in the 1850s and settled southeast of present Odem. Means was county sheriff from 1862 to 1867. The center of the community was a two-story building erected by the Methodist congregation in 1874. It also served as a schoolhouse, ecumenical church and community center. By January 1876, the community was thriving and headed for a promising future when three of Col. Means' sons went on a shooting spree in Papalote in Bee County. A posse which included San Patricio County Sheriff Ed Garner tracked them to their father's ranch, where Col. Means was killed. In August, Ed Garner was shot as he attended church services. Alley Means was convicted of murder, but later pardoned by Gov. John Ireland. The townspeople lived in fear until the Texas Rangers ordered the Means families to leave the area. By the early 1880s they had sold their San Patricio County holdings. The school building was sold in 1881.

Kaleta
(5 miles southeast)
Several families settled in the area that became known as Kaleta in the late 1880s and shortly thereafter built a one-room school. The Kaleta school may have been established to fill a void left by the closing of the Meansville school. Frank
Meansville and Kaleta Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
2. Meansville and Kaleta Marker
S. Rachal served as first postmaster in 1894. The school closed in 1910 and the post office was discontinued in 1914, but the stagecoach line continued to deliver local mail to the home of former postmaster J.D. Willis and his family. By the time of the devastating 1919 storm, the stage line had closed and Kaleta had disappeared from the map.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12182.)
 
Location. 27° 56.982′ N, 97° 34.986′ W. Marker is in Odem, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is at the intersection of Voss Street (U.S. 77) and West Humphries Street, on the right when traveling west on Voss Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Odem TX 78370, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Odem Area Schools (within shouting distance of this marker); White Point / Rosita (within shouting distance of this marker); Odem Building (approx. 7.5 miles away); Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex (approx. 11.4 miles away); Education in San Patricio (approx. 11.5 miles away); Saint Patrick's Catholic Church
James O. Gaffney's Road Map of 1903 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
3. James O. Gaffney's Road Map of 1903 Marker
San Patricio County Texas Drawn by Randy S. King October 1986
(approx. 11.5 miles away); Old Dougherty House (approx. 11.6 miles away); San Patricio de Hibernia (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odem.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 615 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement