Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taft in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex

 
 
Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 13, 2010
1. Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex Marker
Inscription. The Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company laid out the town of Taft on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad line in 1900. The intention of the company directors was to present Taft and surrounding farms as a model community to attract northern investors. By 1904 a post office and a company commissary had opened near the rail line, and soon other businesses and homes were built nearby. To promote the area's economic possibilities and the ease with which potential farmers and ranchers could market their products, the company planned a large agricultural industrial complex in the center of town. By 1909 they had built a slaughter and packing house, a cold storage facility and ice plant, and a cottonseed oil mill. By 1921, the complex also included two cotton gins, a feed mill, cotton compress, creamery and ice cream factory, and machine shop.

As the company plan came to fruition, settlement and land values increased and the company realized a profit as it began selling off all of its holdings. Once solely a company town, Taft soon became diversified as the company presence gradually disappeared. Some of the industrial complex facilities remained in operation under private ownership until the 1950's.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5189.)
 
Location.
Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 13, 2010
2. Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex Marker
27° 58.772′ N, 97° 23.972′ W. Marker is in Taft, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 181 and Packing House Avenue, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 181. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taft TX 78390, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chat Work Club (approx. 7.5 miles away); Odem Building (approx. 7.8 miles away); Site Of Indian Point Mass Grave of 1919 Hurricane Victims (approx. 9 miles away); USS Lexington CV-16 (approx. 11.4 miles away); Rising Sun (approx. 11.4 miles away); Kamikaze (approx. 11.4 miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 11.4 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 11.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Taft, Texas - The Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Location of Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2015
3. Location of Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 608 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas.   3. submitted on June 22, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement