Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Native Sons of the Golden West

 
 
Native Sons of the Golden West Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2010
1. Native Sons of the Golden West Marker
Inscription. Chispa Parlor No. 139 was chartered April 10, 1889, dissolved April 25, 1896, and reorganized March 14, 1905.

This site was first occupied circa 1860 by the Independent Order of Good Templars, a group dedicated to the prohibition of liquor and tobacco. The original hall was deeded to the Literary and Dramatic Association in 1894 and to Chrispa Parlor in 1905. That structure was destroyed by fire on March 11, 1989 and rebuilt and completed December 1991.
 
Erected 1992 by Chrispa Parlor No. 139, Native Sons of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 8.255′ N, 120° 27.829′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Main Street east of North Algiers Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the building to the right of the entrance door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 380 Main Street, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Segale Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Albert A. Michelson (within shouting distance
Native Sons of the Golden West Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2010
2. Native Sons of the Golden West Building and Marker
of this marker); The Old Fisk Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store (about 300 feet away); Murphys Hotel (about 300 feet away); Old Sperry Hotel (about 300 feet away); Peter L. Traver Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
 
Also see . . .  Native Sons of the Golden West. By the mid-1870s, many new residents were flooding into California. Old-timers shook their heads and worried that, with the nature of the population changing so rapidly, the colorful history of the Gold Rush and early-day statehood soon would be forgotten and neglected. So they hit upon an idea: Why not form an organization of men who had been BORN in California whose mission it would be to preserve the stateís history? And thatís exactly what happened, causing the Native Sons of the Golden West to be formed on Sept. 11, 1875. (Submitted on July 13, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable Buildings
 
Original Native Sons of the Golden West Plaque image. Click for full size.
By James King, March 10, 2013
3. Original Native Sons of the Golden West Plaque
This is the original, pre-fire, plaque that was placed on this building one year before it burned down. It is currently kept in the downstairs meeting room. The plaque reads:

Native Sons of the Golden West Hall
A portion of the structure was built circa 1860. The original owner was the Independent Order of Good Templars, a temperance group dedicated to the prohibition of liquor and tobacco. The hall was deeded to the Literary and Dramatic Association on May 7, 1884. Chispa Parlor No. 139 N.S.G.W. purchased the building in 1905.

The Chispa Parlor No. 139 was chartered April 10, 1889, dissolved April 25, 1896 and reorganized March 4, 1905.

Over the years this hall has been the site of many meetings, dances, card parties, theater productions, court proceedings and political conventions.

Monument erected by
Chispa Parlor No. 139, Native Sons of the Golden West
Dedicated March 19, 1988 by
Robert R. Souza, Grand President
Original Signage image. Click for full size.
By James King, March 10, 2013
4. Original Signage
According to the small tag at the bottom, this sign appeared on the building before the 1989 fire. It is currently displayed in the downstairs meeting room. The text reads:

Native Sons Of The Golden West Chispa Parlor
Original charter granted April 10th 1889 Dissolved April 25th 1896 Reorganized on March 14th 1905

Believed to be the oldest public frame building in Murphys, it was known to be in existence in the 1860s. The first recorded owner was the I.O.G.T. Independent Order of Good Templars, a temperance association against liquor & smoking. The hall was deeded to the Literary & Drama Association on May 7th 1884 and deeded to Chispa Parlor N.S.G.W. which has been reorganized in 1905.
There were 29 charter members, and the lodge was allowed to use the original number, #139.
The hall was repaired and enlarged about 1922.
The banquet room was remodeled about 1952.
Over the years this hall has been the site of many meetings, dances, card parties, little theatre productions and even political conventions, making it the center of community activity.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,070 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.
Paid Advertisement