Farmington in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
American Board of Commissioners For Foreign Missions
American Board of Commissioners
For Foreign Missions
Here, on September 5, 1810, in the parsonage of the Reverend Noah Porter, minister of the Congregational Church of Farmington, Connecticut, the American Board Of Commissioners for Foreign Missions held its first annual meeting, elected officers and a prudential committee, adopted rules of action and issued an appeal for support to the Christian public, initiating the first Christian foreign missionary program in the United States.
October 12, 1960
Location. 41° 43.121′ N, 72° 49.992′ W. Marker is in Farmington, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 10) and Maple Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 Main Street, Farmington CT 06032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "American Board" (a few steps from this marker); Farmington (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rochambeau Route 1781-82 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pitkin's Basin Farmington and the Freedom Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Legend of Will Warren’s Den (was approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Lt. Vincent H. Core Memorial Site (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington.
Also see . . . American Board of Commissioners on Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 713 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.