Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Site of Curtis Hall/

Curtis Duplex & Curtis Cottages

 
 
Site of Curtis Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
1. Site of Curtis Hall Marker
Inscription. George W. Curtis came to Prescott from California in 1864, and in 1867 purchased an interest in a sawmill. He purchased a building on Granite Creek on South McCormick Street, and he and his brother John enlarged and modified the building in 1878. This building was known as Curtis Hall and was used as the meeting place for the Territorial Legislature from 1879 to early 1885 and as City Hall. Curtis Hall was described as a "mammoth frame house" which "overshadows every edifice in town". This building was apparently gone by the mid 1880's at which time the Curtis Duplex was built at the same location. The Curtis Duplex appears in an 1885 photograph of Prescott. It was a one-story wood frame building with a porch across the front, covered with shiplap siding. It was an unusual example of multi-family housing, circa 1880. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Around 1884, the Curtis brothers also built three "cottages" along South McCormick Street to the north and south of the Curtis Duplex. These early Territorial frame cottages were a good example of blue-collar housing in Prescott in the 1880s. Although greatly modified, one of these cottages still stands at 125 South McCormick Street and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Curtis Duplex and the other two cottages were demolished
Site of Curtis Hall Marker With the Curtis Cottage in the Background image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
2. Site of Curtis Hall Marker With the Curtis Cottage in the Background
in 1988.
 
Erected by City of Prescott.
 
Location. 34° 32.454′ N, 112° 28.374′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on South McCormick Street south of Beach Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 South McCormick Street, Prescott AZ 86303, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pauline Weaver (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Granite Creek (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Pauline Weaver (about 400 feet away); The Mulvenon Building (about 600 feet away); The Palace Saloon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whiskey Row (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montezuma Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Close-Up of Curtis Hall Photo Displayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Close-Up of Curtis Hall Photo Displayed on Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement