Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Ehle Family and the Montezuma Hotel
The Ehles built a log house at the southwest corner of Goodwin and Marina Streets. In the fall of 1868, they opened the Montezuma Hotel at the northwest corner of Willis and Montezuma streets where the Coronado Apartments, which were apparently built between 1910 and 1924, are today. The Arizona Miner reported on October 10, 1868 that "[t]his hotel is now in full blast and is crowded with guests. Mr. Ehle sets a first-class table." By 1869, they had built a residence next door at 214 North Montezuma Street. The house presently at this location was built between 1890 and 1895. Mrs. Ehle died there in 1905. Joseph Ehle died in 1912
Erected by The City of Prescott and Ehle Family Descendants.
Location. 34° 32.645′ N, 112° 28.215′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of North Montezuma Street and West Willis Street, on the left when traveling north on North Montezuma Street. Touch for map. Marker is on northwest corner of Montezuma ans Willis Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. I. Gardner Store (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Fe Depot (about 600 feet away); Head Hotel (about 700 feet away); Bashford Burmister Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mulvenon Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hotel St. Michael (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prescott (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.