Corning in Steuben County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
City of Corning
began a community here in
1835. It incorporated as a
village in 1848 and as a
city in 1890.
Erected 1987 by Norstar Bank, J. Baer B.S.A.
Location. 42° 8.556′ N, 77° 3.148′ W. Marker is in Corning, New York, in Steuben County. Marker is at the intersection of Cedar Street (New York State Route 414) and Denison Parkway East (New York State Route 352), on the right when traveling north on Cedar Street. Touch for map. It is located across from the Rockwell Museum of Western Art. Marker is in this post office area: Corning NY 14830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Erie Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); Ecker Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Galvin and Haines Insurance (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corning Centennial Sculpture (about 600 feet away); Concert Hall Block (about 600 feet away); Market Street Historic District (about 600 feet away); At This Location an Alliance of Prosperity was Formed (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corning.
More about this marker.
Also see . . . History of the City of Corning, NY. “Indeed these first years of village history witnessed many improvements and wonderful changes, and in 1836 there was sufficient importance in the settlement to warrant a name for the hamlet. It was called Corning, in honorable allusion to Erastus Corning, founder in fact of the company and one of the chief promoters of the enterprise. The purchase tract was surveyed and laid out into lots, and all needful things were provided to build up a progressive settlement. However, one of the first acts of the company was to ascertain the possibility of a successful line of railroad between the canal terminus and the rich Blossburg coal fields. To be sure, the Tioga river afforded moderate facilities for transportation at certain periods, yet it proved a somewhat slow and occasionally unreliable thoroughfare of traffic. To overcome the objections a survey was made to the State line, up the valley of the river, and being practicable the energetic company constructed the road to that point, and there joined with the road built by a similar company of Pennsylvania operators. In 1839 the first locomotive traversed the Tioga (Submitted on January 1, 2015.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on November 30, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.