Platteville in Grant County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Platteville Started Here
In November of 1827 John Rountree and his partner, Major J. B. Campbell, purchased a mineral claim from Emanuel Metcalf for $3,600. The Rountree Lead, was the first mine developed in what would become the city of Platteville. It was near this spot that the "bluff" could be found that would mark the entrance of the Rountree Mine.
With the start of this mine, the further development of Platteville was begun. A lead smelting furnace, a store, and a Post Office, followed to serve the increasing numbers of settlers arriving in the area.
Location. 42° 43.906′ N, 90° 28.358′ W. Marker is in Platteville, Wisconsin, in Grant County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Pine St. and Lilly St., on the right on E. Pine St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Platteville WI 53818, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this Main Street Commercial Historic District Platteville (approx. 0.4 miles away); First State Normal School (approx. half a mile away); World's Largest M (approx. 4 miles away); The First Capitol (approx. 6.1 miles away); Land, Lead, and Politics (approx. 6.1 miles away); Governor Tommy G. Thompson's 1998 Address At Wisconsin's First Capitol (approx. 6.1 miles away); Belmont, Wisconsin Territory, 1836 (approx. 6.2 miles away); 1998 Wisconsin Assembly (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Platteville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.