Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gaylord in Otsego County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Congregational Church

 
 
First Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 8, 2010
1. First Congregational Church Marker
Inscription. The First Congregational Church is the oldest congregation in Gaylord. In 1874 the Reverend James McKay founded it as a mission church with twenty-one members. It was officially organized three years later. In 1878 the Reverend Abram Van Auken arrived, and construction began on a church, dedicated in 1879. That church has been incorporated into the present structure. In 1957, as a result of a national merger, this congregation joined the United Church of Christ.
 
Erected 1992 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1635.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 45° 1.543′ N, 84° 40.614′ W. Marker is in Gaylord, Michigan, in Otsego County. Marker is at the intersection of South Otsego Avenue (Business Interstate 75) and West Second Street, on the left when traveling south on South Otsego Avenue. Touch for map. The marker and church are located two blocks south of Main Street (State Highway 32). Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 West Second Street, Gaylord MI 49735, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Otsego County
First Congregational Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 8, 2010
2. First Congregational Church and Marker
(about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gaylord, Michigan (about 600 feet away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. mile away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement