Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Florida's First Atlantic to Gulf Railroad
The Florida Railroad Company was incorporated January 8, 1853, with David L. Yulee as president. The line received both federal and state land grants. Despite early financial difficulties, construction was begun from Fernandina, where the main office was located, in 1856. The final trackage to Cedar Key was laid March 1, 1861, and Florida had its first cross-state railroad.
Erected 1961 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-28.)
Location. 30° 40.272′ N, 81° 27.879′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is on Center Avenue east of Front Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the downtown business district, very near the water front area along the Amelia River, and directly in front of the town's old railroad depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 Centre Street, Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary War Invasion of British East Florida (a few steps from this marker); William Bartram Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); David L. Yulee The Lesesne House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nassau County Historic Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
1. Marker temporarily moved
On today's visit (12/17/2014) I found the depot building was under construction, and the sign is laying against the building without its post.
— Submitted December 17, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 882 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 22, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on August 15, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on December 17, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida.