Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
American Consulate 1844-1846.
Built in 1835 by
Thomas Oliver Larkin,
only consul in U.S. to California
Courtesy Thomson J. Hudson
Erected by Monterey History and Art Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 36° 35.88′ N, 121° 53.765′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker is on Calle Principal near Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 464 Calle Principal, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters of General William Tecumseh Sherman (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Larkin House (a few steps from this marker); 19th Century Sailing Ship's Anchor (a few steps from this marker); House of Four Winds (within shouting distance of this marker); Chestnut Tree (within shouting Casa Amesti (within shouting distance of this marker); Moon Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Juan Bautista Alvarado (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
Also see . . .
1. Larkin House. The California Department of Parks and Recreation's history of the Larkin House. (Submitted on July 24, 2010.)
2. Larkin House. Historic Monterey's history of the Larkin House. (Submitted on July 24, 2010.)
3. House, 464 Calle Principal. The Historic American Building Survey record. Includes extensive notes. (Submitted on July 24, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 901 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 24, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.