Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gaithersburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Serving the Community's Health Care Needs

 
 
Serving the Community's Health Care Needs marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
1. Serving the Community's Health Care Needs marker
Inscription. In 1893, Dr. Elisha C. Etchison purchased the northwest corner property at Diamond and Summit Avenues from John B. Diamond and opened a pharmacy / drug store. Although the business at this site has changed owners several times over the years, there has always been a drugstore at this location. Etchison's business card boasted that customers could have a "prescription carefully compounded," or could pay 25 cents to buy one-half pint of "Elliot's Emulsified Oil Liniment Rub," guaranteed to stop any "ache or pain that can be reached externally." The drugstore remained in the Etchison family for several decades before becoming Barnett's, Lynn's and eventually, Diamond Drug. In addition to purchasing prescriptions, toiletries, and novelty items, customers relaxed at the soda fountain, where they enjoyed delicious 10-cent ice cream sodas.

(Photo caption): W. D. Barnett Drugs and Chemicals / Diamond Drug Store circa 1920
 
Erected by City of Gaithersburg.
 
Location. 39° 8.502′ N, 77° 11.564′ W. Marker is in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Summit Avenue near Diamond Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
The Diamond Drug pharmacy image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
2. The Diamond Drug pharmacy
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Early Years (here, next to this marker); Building The Future (here, next to this marker); The Schwartz House / Gaithersburg City Hall / Schwartz Peony Garden (here, next to this marker); The Business of Agriculture: (here, next to this marker); Supplying an Agricultural Community (here, next to this marker); The Gaithersburg School (here, next to this marker); Gaithersburg Washington Grove Volunteer Fire Department (here, next to this marker); The Summit Hotel (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaithersburg.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
W. D. Barnett Drugs and Chemicals <br> Diamond Drug Store, circa 1920 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 27, 2017
3. W. D. Barnett Drugs and Chemicals
Diamond Drug Store, circa 1920
Close-up of photo on marker
Nichols Harness Shop image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 6, 2017
4. Nichols Harness Shop
“This building is now part of Diamond Drug, and contains the present lunch counter.” — Gaithersburg Historical Association
Close-up of photo in the the Gaithersburg Business Training Center
Diamond Drugs image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 6, 2017
5. Diamond Drugs
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 943 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3, 4, 5. submitted on April 15, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement