Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This structure was part of the expansion resulting from the Ropes boom of the early 1890's. Colonel E.H. Ropes of New Jersey planned to make Corpus Christi a deep water port. He began dredging a channel across Mustang Island but ran out of money and abandoned the project.
One of two rent houses originally constructed by Mrs. Sidbury about 1893 in the bluff addition on upper North Broadway, this Victorian structure featured a two-story bay surrounded by elaborately decorated galleries. It was occupied for several years by Padre Island rancher Patrick Dunn (1858-1937). Later sold by Mrs. Sidbury's descendants, the house was moved off the bluff in 1926 to this location in the historic "Old Irishtown" neighborhood.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4691.)
Location. Touch for map. In Heritage Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1609 Sorth Chaparral, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Julius Lichtenstein House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kovner-Bobys Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Merriman House (within shouting distance of this marker); French-Galvan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Grande-Grossman House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jalufka-Galatos House (about 300 feet away); McCampbell House (about 500 feet away); Irishtown (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 854 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.