Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hillsdale in Hillsdale County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Anthony's Catholic Church

 
 
St. Anthony's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 10, 2010
1. St. Anthony's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. The origins of Catholicism in Hillsdale County date to the 1840s when Irishmen who worked for the Southern Railroad settled here. In 1853 the Reverend Joseph Kindekens of Adrian and eighty-five people organized St. Anthony's parish. The former Presbyterian church, which was located on this site, became the first house of worship. In 1858 the Reverend Charles Ryckaert became the first pastor and built a rectory. After the Reverend Peter Slane arrived in 1878, the old church was razed to make way for the present one. On June 15, 1884, Bishop Casper Borgess dedicated this spired Gothic Revival church. St. Anthony's Church remains the only Catholic parish in Hillsdale County.
 
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1645.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 55.231′ N, 84° 37.845′ W. Marker is in Hillsdale, Michigan, in Hillsdale County. Marker is on North Broad Street (State Highway 99), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. St. Anthony's Catholic Church is across the street from the Hillsdale County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 North Broad Street, Hillsdale MI 49242, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
St. Anthony's Catholic Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 10, 2010
2. St. Anthony's Catholic Church and Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Sultana (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hillsdale (about 400 feet away); College Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Will Carleton Poor House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hillsdale College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Grosvenor House (approx. 4.5 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsdale.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 666 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement