Marshfield in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
On July 4, 1872, the first train reached the new community of Marshfield. Other early settlers were drawn to the community to establish businesses near the new railroad. The Wisconsin Central built their first depot near the Rivers' log building.
Erected 2002 by the Wisconsin Historical Society and Compass Properties, LLC. (Marker Number 482.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 44° 40.099′ N, 90° 10.458′ W. Marker is in Marshfield, Wisconsin, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of North Chestnut Avenue and West Depot Street, on the right when traveling north on North Chestnut Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at the northeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Marshfield WI 54449, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Columbia Park Band Shell (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marshfield Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tower Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor William H. Upham House (approx. ľ mile away); Youth Baseball Donor Recognition Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eli Winch House (approx. 0.4 miles away); September 11th Patriots Day (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshfield.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 977 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on August 28, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.