Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
9XM - WHA
“The Oldest Station in the Nation”
Experimental station 9XM transmitted telegraphic signals from Science Hall until 1917 when it was moved to Sterling Hall. In that year professor Earle M. Terry and students built and operated a "wireless telephone" transmitter.
In 1918, during World War I, when other stations were ordered silenced, 9XM operated under special authorization to continue its telephonic exchange with U.S. Navy stations on the Great Lakes. After the war, programs were directed to the general public.
The WHA letters replaced the 9XM call on January 13, 1922. Thus, the University of Wisconsin station, under the calls 9XM and WHA, has been in existence longer than any other.
Erected 1958 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 84.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 4.376′ N, 89° 24.008′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Park Street and University Avenue, on the right Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 821 University Avenue, Madison WI 53706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Grand Experiment (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); University Presbyterian Church and Student Center (about 700 feet away); Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away); Securing the Future (approx. 0.2 miles away); Luther Memorial Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); State Historical Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); Born in Madison, the Wisconsin Idea changed the nation (approx. 0.2 miles away); On the Air (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A related marker by the University of Wisconsin.
Additional keywords. Radio
Categories. • 20th Century • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2009, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,532 times since then. Last updated on July 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2009, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on June 18, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on July 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 21, 2009, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.