Jonesville in Hillsdale County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Completed in 1874, this structure of High Victorian Italianate design is one of the most magnificent residences in Michigan. The interior, an excellent example of a living museum of the 1870s, contains thirty-two rooms with twelve-foot ceilings. Other striking features are eight Italian marble fireplaces each of a different color, walnut window valances with carved Egyptian heads, and a sweeping balustrade staircase. Despite the fact that electricity was installed in 1915, this house still retains several gas-operated globe lights.
Elijah E. Myers designed this residence for Ebenezer Oliver Grosvenor (1820-1910). An eminent Jonesville citizen and banker, Grosvenor was also a prominent Republican statesman. He served two terms as state senator and treasurer, one term as lieutenant governor, and seven years as a University of Michigan regent. He was also vice-president and presiding officer of the State Building Commission responsible for the erection of the Michigan State Capitol in 1874-1879, which Myers also designed.
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 500.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. This marker is 0.2 mile south of East Chicago Road (U.S. Highway 12). Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 Maumee Street, Jonesville MI 49250, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Father Gabriel Richard (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hillsdale College (approx. 3.7 miles away); College Baptist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Hillsdale (approx. 4.4 miles away); Sultana (approx. 4.4 miles away); St. Anthony's Catholic Church (approx. 4½ miles away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesville.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church. A marker in Albion, Michigan tells of the First Presbyterian Church which was another building designed by Elijah E. Myers. (Submitted on August 3, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 746 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.