Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Epworth United Methodist Church, 1894
The congregation named their new house of worship “Epworth,” after the English home of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism. Gothic features on the 135-foot carillon tower include eight gargoyles. In the sanctuary, a stained glass dome designed by Edward J.N. Stent of New York is supported by arches bearing mosaic likenesses of female figures representing the cardinal virtues of faith, hope, love and charity. The Aeolian-Skinner organ was considered to be the finest in the South at the time of its installation in 1959.
Epworth members organized Norfolk’s first chapter of Goodwill Industries and the city’s first Circle of the King’s Daughters. They also participated in the establishment of Virginia Wesleyan College.
(Caption, left picture): Cumberland Street Methodist Church (1802 - 1850)
(Caption, center picture): Church Interior, 1952
(Caption, right picture): Granby Street Methodist Church (1850 - 1894)
Erected by City of Norfolk.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Norfolk Heritage Cannonball Trail marker series.
Location. 36° 51.062′ N, 76° 17.366′ W. Marker is in Norfolk, Virginia. Marker is on E Freemason St, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Norfolk College for Young Ladies (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moses Myers, House 1792 (about 700 feet away); Whitehead House, 1791 (about 700 feet away); Freemason Street Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Governor Tazewell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tripoli Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Taylor-Whittle House, 1791 (approx. 0.2 miles away); West Freemason Street Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
More about this marker. This marker is part of the Norfolk Heritage Cannonball Trail
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,379 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 13, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 8. submitted on October 7, 2015. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.