Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jamestown in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Willow

 
 
The Willow Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 27, 2010
1. The Willow Marker
Inscription. Est. and in continuous operation since 1862. “The Willow Hotel” was named for the trees that were growing here long before the Gold Rush started. In its heyday The Willow hosted President McKinley, Mrs. Robert E. Lee and “Bat” Masterson among many others.

Plagued by fires, much of the original building was destroyed in 1982. However, the original redwood bar has survived intact. Internationally famous for it’s ghosts The Willow enriches local history and preserves a reputation for good food and drink.

Dedicated by E Clampus Vitus
Sept. 2, 2000 (6005)
Matuca Chapter 1849
Credo Quia Absurdum

Preservation of
Western History
California Style

 
Erected 2000 by Matuca Chapter 1849, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 37° 57.255′ N, 120° 25.355′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Willow Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Building is located at the intersection and the marker is mounted on the side of the building facing Main
The Willow Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 27, 2010
2. The Willow Marker
Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18723 Main Street, Jamestown CA 95327, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Community Hall / Jamestown Justice Court (within shouting distance of this marker); 75 Pound Nugget (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Light District (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown Branch Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rocca Park (about 300 feet away); Jamestown (about 400 feet away); Ramirez – Preston Building (about 500 feet away); Jamestown United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
 
Regarding The Willow. The new structure is a one-story wood frame building which is all that remains of the original two-story gabled-roof hotel and restaurant that burned in 1978. A new false front has been added to the north and west facing street fronts to give a feel for the former height of the original building. Built in 1896 by early pioneer John Pereira, it has operated continuously as a bar and restaurant.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
The Willow image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 27, 2010
3. The Willow
View of The Willow from across Willow Street.
The Willow image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 27, 2010
4. The Willow
View of The Willow from across Main Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 687 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on July 29, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement