Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Schoolhouse

Placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1975

 
 
Old Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
1. Old Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription. Built circa 1855 by Gen. Jesse Carter for his daughter Josephine. He employed Mrs. Louisa Porter as teacher. The first class included Josephine Carter, Janie Givens, Mary Lesley, Mary Kelly, Eugenia Spencer, Lizzie Spencer and Hayden Porter. Jessie J. Hayden purchased the property in 1865. His granddaughter Marion A. McKay was born in the school Oct. 8, 1875. In 1886 Henry B. Plant bought the property for his hotel. He saved the School and it was used as an apothecary shop by Dr. J. M. Grantham. In 1905 the Hotel was sold to the City of Tampa. The School was presented to the DeSoto Chapter DAR in 1931 by Mayor D. B. McKay and City Representatives.
 
Erected 1982 by the DeSoto Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 27° 56.857′ N, 82° 27.907′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on University Drive east of North Brevard Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The Old Schoolhouse and marker are located on the campus of the University of Tampa, between Plant Hall (the former Tampa Bay Hotel, and a National Historic Landmark)
Old Schoolhouse NRHP Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
2. Old Schoolhouse NRHP Plaque
Mounted on the front of the building, to the right of the door and window. (NRHP #74000636)
and the John H. Sykes College of Business (former City of Tampa Municipal Auditorium), and north of Smiley Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33606, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Babe's Longest Homer (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tampa Bay Hotel, 1891 (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Tampa Bay Hotel (about 600 feet away); Fort Brooke Battery (about 600 feet away); The Spanish Fort (about 700 feet away); De Soto (about 700 feet away); 400th Anniversary of the Landing of Panfilo de Narvaez (about 700 feet away); United Spanish War Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the logo of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Regarding Old Schoolhouse. Per NRHP records the building was listed in December of 1974, not 1975.
The Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources describes the schoolhouse as,
"Greek Revival. 1 story, frame, clapboarding, pedimented tetrastyle portico. One of area's oldest
buildings, typical of small private schools which dominated the state's early educational
Old Schoolhouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
3. Old Schoolhouse and Marker
In the background are the old Tampa Bay Hotel (now Plant Hall at UT), and beyond that, office towers of downtown Tampa.
system."
(Source: http://www.flheritage.com/facts/reports/places/index.cfm?fuseaction=ListAreas&county=hillsborough)
 
Additional keywords. University of Tampa
 
Categories. EducationFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Old Schoolhouse Restoration Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
4. Old Schoolhouse Restoration Plaque
"The Historic School House"
Built circa 1855 by
Gen. Jessie Carter
Restored 1932 by
DeSoto Chapter D.A.R.
Mrs. R.A. Ely, Regent
Miss Cornelia C. Pickett
Chairman of Restoration
Old Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
5. Old Schoolhouse
Rear view
Old Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
6. Old Schoolhouse
Displayed above the porch columns are the words:
"Tampa Bay Hotel Co."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,256 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement