Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bay City in Bay County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss House

c. 1892

 
 
Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 16, 2010
1. Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss House Marker
Inscription. Charles came to Bay City in 1864 from Ithaca, NY, to work for sawmill owners Henry Sage and John McGraw, eventually buying the Bay City Dredging Co. His home's architecture is Shavian Manorial, a Queen Anne/Tudor Revival style named after the 1860s/70s neo-medieval work of the English architect Richard Norman Shaw. It was designed by William H. Miller, Ithaca's most prominent late 19th/early 20th century architect, who designed many of Cornell's buildings. Detroit architects Scott & Scott supervised the construction. The home, which has 23 rooms, 9 replaces, and a grand central staircase in the two-story entrance hall, is marked by projecting cross gables, half-timbering, and liberal use of Tennessee sandstone.
 
Erected by Center Avenue Neighborhood Association.
 
Location. 43° 35.827′ N, 83° 52.819′ W. Marker is in Bay City, Michigan, in Bay County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Avenue (State Highway 25) and North Grant Street, on the right when traveling east on Center Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 924 Center Avenue, Bay City MI 48708, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church
Charles B. & Geogiana (McGraw) Curtiss House and Marker image. Click for full size.
November 18, 2010
2. Charles B. & Geogiana (McGraw) Curtiss House and Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Center Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Ten Hours or No Sawdust" (approx. half a mile away); Theodore H. Roethke Childhood Home / Theodore H. Roethke (approx. 13.7 miles away); The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf (approx. 16.5 miles away); Frankenhilf (approx. 16.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Charles B. & Geogiana (McGraw) Curtiss House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 16, 2010
3. Charles B. & Geogiana (McGraw) Curtiss House and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   2. submitted on November 28, 2010.   3. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement