Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lee Hall Depot
Traditionally, the depot served the Yorktown, Lee Hall and lower James City County communities and was the social and economic focal point of the village of Lee Hall that grew around the station
. The depot is the only remaining station on the Lower Virginia Peninsula from the railroad’s expansion into Warwick County. Five stations (Lee Hall, Oriana, Oyster Point, Morrison and Newport News) once served the county. It is a symbol of Newport News’ early development from the agrarian Warwick County into the modern City of Newport News and of the history of transportation.
The first passenger train from Newport News took local residents and national officials to the Cornwallis Surrender Centennial Celebration on October 19, 1881, on a temporary track laid from Lee Hall to Yorktown. During World War 1, the depot served as the initial rail link for the military when the construction of Camp Eustis on Mulberry Island began in 1918.
The present-day depot is a culmination of
Passenger service ended in the late 1970s. In 1993, CSX, formerly the C&O Railroad, decided that the location of the depot was unsafe because it was too close to the tracks. They donated the structure to the City of Newport News which moved it across the tracks to its current location.
Location. 37° 11.64′ N, 76° 34.342′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Elmhurst Street 0.1 miles south of Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C&O "Peninsula Extension" (here, next to this marker); Lee Hall Village (here, next to this marker); Lee Hall (a few steps from this marker); The Simon Reid Curtis House (a few steps from this marker); An Earthwork in Front (approx. 0.4 miles away); Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County A Large Brick Kitchen (approx. 0.4 miles away); Homestead by the Main Road (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a floor plan of Lee Hall Depot.
On the upper right is an illustration with the caption, "The first steam engine at Lee Hall Station, October 19, 1881, carried passengers to Yorktown to celebrate the Cornwallis Surrender Centennial." Mural by artist Sidney E. King.
Also see . . .
1. Lee Hall Depot. (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Company. The Old Dominion Land Company and the Development of the City of Newport News. A Collection of Maps, Blueprints, Photographs and Documents. Newport News Public Library. (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
3. Lee Hall Depot (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, World I •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.