Fremont in Steuben County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Village of Brockville - Platted in 1837.
Post Office and town changed to Fremont in 1848 in honor of John C. Fremont “the Great Pathfinder.” Located on the Vistula Trail, the meeting place for people from the Detroit, Toledo, and Pittsburg areas in their westward movement.
First frame building erected in 1837 near the center of the village. In 1838 the Potawatomi Tribe was removed from the area. First Church – Methodist Episcopal was organized in 1841. First frame school was built in 1845. In 1877 a brick school was erected to replace one built in 1856 which was destroyed by fire. New school was erected on Spring Street between Tolford and Coffin Streets.
Electric lights were installed in 1896. Dr. Wade opened Steuben County's first hospital in 1914. First paved streets were laid in 1922.
Town erected a 60,000 gallon tank and supplied water to the community in 1937. Sewer lines and disposal plant went into service in 1957. At one time Fremont boasted 2 Hotels, and was served by 6 passenger and 4 freight trains daily.
Erected 1976. (Marker Number 76.1976.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 43.852′ N, 84° 55.975′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Indiana, in Steuben County. Marker is at the intersection of Toledo Street (State Road 120) and Wayne Street (State Road 827) on Toledo Street. Touch for map. It is at the northwest corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Fremont IN 46737, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Vistula Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Indiana's Northern Boundary Line (approx. 4½ miles away); Welcome to the Potawatomi Inn (approx. 5 miles away); Beginning in Ice: The Lakes of Pokagon (approx. 5.1 miles away); Where Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio Meet (approx. 7 miles away in Michigan); Steuben County Civil War Honor Rolls (approx. 7½ miles away); Steuben County Court House (approx. 7½ miles away); The Nettle Lake Mound Group (approx. 10.8 miles away in Ohio). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
More about this marker. Plaque dedicated July 4, 1976, at the site of the “ole town pump.”
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,014 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 8, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.