Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Santa Anna's Surrender Ratiﬁed
After he had passed through Goliad, he was overtaken at Mujerero Creek (12 mi. SW) by Texan Army couriers, Col. Ben Fort Smith and Capt. Henry Teal. Signing the ratification of peace at Mujerero, May 26, 1836, were Gen. Filasola, Gen. Eugene Tolsa, Col. Augustine Amat, Col. Smith, and Capt. Teal.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4572.)
Location. 28° 39.963′ N, 97° 23.537′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on South Commercial Street south of North Courthouse Square, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Goliad County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Goliad TX 77963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hanging Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (within shouting distance of this marker); Regulators of Goliad County Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goliad (about 600 feet away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga (approx. 0.7 miles away); Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de la Bahía (approx. 1.4 miles away); Manuel Becerra (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Also see . . . The Battle of San Jacinto. On May 14, 1836, the public and private treaties of Velasco, were signed by Presidents David G. Burnet and Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. They confirmed the Mexican retreat and declared an end to the war. Neither the Texas nor Mexican governments accepted the treaties, however, and a state of war existed throughout most of the Republic of Texas' existence. (Submitted on August 10, 2010.)
Categories. • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.