Greenville in Bond County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First City Hall and Fire House
completed July 31, 1934
The building cost $15,000 and took 5 months to complete. "For the first time in Greenville's 119 years of history in which great progress was made in every other direction, the city really had its own building in which to conduct its business. In the past they had been compelled to meet in any old house by the side of the road... and many were the places they met to struggle with the city's business." Much of the credit for the building's materialization was due to Mayor Lee Loyd.
Location. 38° 53.585′ N, 89° 24.808′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Illinois, in Bond County. Marker is on 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 North 3rd Street, Greenville IL 62246, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Weise & Bradford Store (a few steps from this marker); J. R. Bennett Building (within shouting distance of this marker); John Posch (within shouting distance of this marker); War of 1812 Soldiers Buried in Bond County (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Bond County (within shouting distance F. P. Joy & Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bond County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); Bulkley-Buie Store (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Also see . . . Town of Greenville Historical Sites. (Submitted on August 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 682 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.