Near Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief program during the Great Depression. From 1933 to 1942, the CCC provided work for 31,097 jobless men in South Dakota--about 22,000 enrollees (single men aged 17-25), about 1,700 veterans, 4,554 American Indians and 2,834 supervisors. The U.S. Army provided 200-man camps, food, clothing, medical care and pay, and educational, recreational and religious programs. The Office of Indian Affairs provided similar services for units on Indian reservations.
The U.S. Forest Service supervised Camp F-6. The work of Company 792 included tree thinning, pruning and planting; fire prevention and suppression; rodent and insect control; grazing land improvement; and recreational development. Enrollees removed dead and diseased growth, built fire trails and removed flammable debris from hundreds of acres. They developed scores of springs, built stock dams and fences, and constructed Roubaix Dam along with a beach, swimming area, bath-house and campground. The detachment of WWI veterans in Company 2759V built residences in Deadwood for the forest supervisor and assistant.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 44° 12.491′ N, 103° 39.229′ W. Marker is near Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 385 and Roubaix Lake Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 385. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Multiple Purpose Management in Action (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ray Davis and the Homestake Experiment (approx. 11.3 miles away); The Homestake Gold Mine and Open Cut (approx. 11.3 miles away); The Open Cut (approx. 11.3 miles away); Homestake Open Cut Mine (approx. 11.4 miles away); The Presidential District (approx. 11.8 miles away); The Franklinís Fine Home (approx. 11.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Presidential District (approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. (other Civilian Conservation Corps Camp markers)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.