Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Medical College of Georgia
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 28.138′ N, 81° 59.283′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Laney-Walker Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between R.A. Dent Blvd and 13th Street- 1400 block of Laney-Walker Blvd at the College. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stoney Nurses Home (approx. 0.2 Dr. John M. Tutt (approx. 0.4 miles away); Haines Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lucy Craft Laney (approx. 0.4 miles away); John McClinton Tutt (approx. 0.4 miles away); Paine College (approx. half a mile away); The Augusta Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); George Walton (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding The Medical College of Georgia. The Medical College moved to this site in 1913, not 1911. The class of 1912 was the last class to complete its education in the building at Telfair and Sixth streets. The class of 1913 started its senior year at the Old Medical College but transferred to the newly renovated Tuttle-Newton home on January 2, 1913. Later this building became known as the Newton Building and served as the administration building until the Kelly Building was completed in 1954.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. shown.for he Medical College of Georgia
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 701 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.