Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Montrose

Home of Col. Charles Colcock Jones, Jr., LL. D.

 
 
Montrose Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 25, 2010
1. Montrose Marker
Inscription. Col. Jones was mayor of Savannah in 1860. In 1861 he joined the Chatham Artillery and served, later, as Chief of Artillery for the Military District of Georgia and the Third Military District of South Carolina. After the war, he practiced law in New York until his return to "Montrose" in 1877. He died here July 19, 1893. His eighty permanent publications include works on colonial Georgia, Indians, Confederate subjects, biographical sketches. Best known of his books are Antiquities of the Southern Indians and History of Georgia. Twice given the degree of Doctor of Laws, Col. Jones was honored, further, with membership in various literary and scientific societies in this country and in Europe. He was an outstanding collector of autographs, historical documents and primitive objects.
 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-38.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 28.651′ N, 82° 0.925′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Walton Way, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between Milledge Road and Johns Road. Marker
Montrose Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 25, 2010
2. Montrose Marker
is at or near this postal address: 2249 Walton Way, Augusta GA 30904, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Home of Charles Jones Jenkins, Jr., LL. D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Village of Summerville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Summerville Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Richard Henry Wilde (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augusta Arsenal (approx. mile away); Home of John Forsyth (approx. mile away); Augusta Arsenal 1941 (approx. mile away); Great Indian Trading Path (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Regarding Montrose. The Summerville neighborhood boasts some of Augusta's most picturesque houses and landscape features, including "Montrose" (c1849), also known as the Alan Fuqua Center.
 
Also see . . .  Montrose- Digital Library of Georgia. Alan Fuqua Center for young people as a gift to Read Memorial Presbyterian Church in memory of his son. For more information see Linley, John. The Georgia Catalog: Historic American Buildings Survey. Athens, Ga.: University of Georgia Press, c1982, p. 280. (Submitted on August 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Additional comments.
Montrose, today known as the Alan Fuqua Center for young people image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 25, 2010
3. Montrose, today known as the Alan Fuqua Center for young people
1. Montrose

According to Robert Manson Myers in Children of Pride, page 1656, Robert Alexander Reid (1799-1876), of Augusta, a rich merchant and an influential Presbyterian layman, built Montrose in 1849 and resided there for the rest of his life. In 1877 Charles Colcock Jones, Jr., purchased Montrose and occupied it until his death in 1893; the house then passed to his daughter, Ruth Berrien Jones, she occupied it until her death in 1934, when it passed to her two daughters, Julia Berrien Jones and Mary Ruth Carpenter. Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted March 25, 2013, by William Chandler Lanier, Jr. of Jonesboro, Georgia.

 
Categories. Arts, Letters, Music
 
Montrose Marker, as seen looking west along Walton Way image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 25, 2010
4. Montrose Marker, as seen looking west along Walton Way
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 638 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement