Tahoe City in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Tahoe City bustled with activity from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Family resorts were built that offered motorists food, lodging and recreational opportunities.
During the winter, year-round residents still coped with an adventurous daily routine. When roads were impassable, locals stored their cars and traveled by foot, skies or boat, often received their mail and supplies twice weekly by boat.
A world audience saw the beauty of Lake Tahoe live on television during the 1960 Olympics at Squaw Valley. The popularity of Lake Tahoe – and Tahoe City – as a tourist destination increased even further.
Erected 2008 by Rotory Club of Tahoe City.
Location. 39° 10.289′ N, 120° 8.406′ W. Marker is in Tahoe City, California, in Placer County. Marker can be reached from North Lake Boulevard (State Highway 28) west of Grove Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at Heritage Plaza next to the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Tahoe City (here, next to this marker); Tahoe City’s “Big Tree” (here, next to this marker); Tahoe City Begins, 1860 to 1895 (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Tourism, 1896 to 1926 (a few steps from this marker); Southern Pacific, 1926 to 1945 (a few steps from this marker); Post War, 1946 to 1955 (a few steps from this marker); Olympic Silver, 1956 to 1971 (a few steps from this marker); The Watson Cabin (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahoe City.
Also see . . . Scenic Photos of Lake Tahoe. Photos of Lake Tahoe and the area taken by Alexander Evans and Dale Boland - provided by the U.S. Geological Survey. (Submitted on August 17, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.