Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

William Johnson House

Natchez, Mississippi

 

—Friends of Libraries U.S.A. Literary Landmark —

 
William Johnson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
1. William Johnson House Marker
Inscription.
William Johnson
1809-1851
was a free African American Businessman and Diarist.
His diary, covering the period from 1835-1851 and published in 1951, contains an extensive description of
everyday pre-Civil War life; it is a valuable contribution
to the literature of the antebellum South.
His home is designated a Literary Landmark
by Friends of Libraries, U.S.A.

United States National Park Service - February 26, 2005.
Friends of Judge George W. Armstrong Library.
Friends of Mississippi Libraries.

 
Erected 2005 by Friends of Libraries, U.S.A. & Co-sponsors: National Park Service, Friends of Judge George W. Armstrong Library, and Friends of Mississippi Libraries.
 
Location. 31° 33.599′ N, 91° 24.327′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on State Street 0 miles east of So. Canal Street (Business U.S. 61), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The William Johnson House is a unit of the Natchez National Historical Park, located about one mile north of US Hwy 84/425 via So. Canal Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 State Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
William Johnson House - marker is visble on the white fence, below the tree limbs image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
2. William Johnson House - marker is visble on the white fence, below the tree limbs
walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The William Johnson House (here, next to this marker); Commercial Bank Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Natchez Burning" (about 500 feet away); Site of Bank of Mississippi (about 600 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Natchez (about 700 feet away); Bluff Park - Playground for the City (about 700 feet away); Richard N. Wright (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Also see . . .
1. "The Barber of Natchez" - The Life of William Johnson. National Park Service brochure (Submitted on August 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.) 

2. Natchez National Historical Park. (Submitted on August 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. Free persons of Color; slavery; "Barber of Natchez"; miscegenation
 
Categories. African AmericansAntebellum South, USArts, Letters, MusicNotable Persons
 
"Slavery" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
3. "Slavery"
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Johnson Family Tree" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
4. "Johnson Family Tree"
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Main Street Barbershop" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
5. "Main Street Barbershop"
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Documenting Freedom ..." image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
6. "Documenting Freedom ..."
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Business ..." image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
7. "Business ..."
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Murder..." image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
8. "Murder..."
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"After 1851" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
9. "After 1851"
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
William Johnson House and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
10. William Johnson House and Museum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,146 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 29, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement