Logansville in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Logan County, On Top of Ohio
Built during the War of 1812 about a mile north by an independent rifle company commanded by Joseph Vance. The two 20-foot buildings were connected with a common second story and were well provided with portholes. Vance later became governor.
[West Side of Marker]
After General Hull's defeat at Detroit, the U.S. government sent soldiers to protect colonists from Indians favorable to the British. Block houses were built along the Greenville Treaty Line: Mannery, McPherson, Curry, Zanetown, and Vance.
Erected 1955 by Logan County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 20.774′ N, 83° 55.713′ W. Marker is in Logansville, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 47 and White Oak Street, on the right when traveling west on State Route 47. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: De Graff OH 43318, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. DeGraff, Ohio Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old Town Shawnee Village (was approx. 3.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Quincy Ohio Veterans Memorial Curry Blockhouse / Shawnee Village “Oldtown” (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Quincy School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Greenville Treaty Line / Nancy Stewart Section (was approx. 4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Beehive Community Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Pigeon Town / Shawnee Village Site (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 959 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 28, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.