East Liberty in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Home of John Garwood / Garwoods Mill Site
Logan County, On Top of Ohio
In 1805 the John Garwood family of thirteen children located their home near this spot. Their activities here were responsible for the town of East Liberty. The village laid out 1834. Post Office renamed 1836.
[North Side of Marker]:
East 50 yds., stood a mill built 1808 by John Garwood. During pioneer days this mill was the most important center in this part of Ohio. First Post Office established here was known as Garwood's Mills.
Erected by Logan County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 19.715′ N, 83° 34.783′ W. Marker is in East Liberty, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on South Main Street (County Route 152) 0.2 miles south of Found Road (Ohio Route 292), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: East Liberty OH 43319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. East Liberty School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Darby Creek (approx. 1½ miles away); Phebe Haines Sharp (approx. 1.9 miles away); Middleburg United Methodist Church Bellringers Christopher Crary (approx. 3.7 miles away); Goshen Quaker Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Second Church/ First School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Pickrelltown Community Club (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Liberty.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,102 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 30, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.