Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Garden Club
Founders’ Memorial Garden which commemorates the founders of America’s first garden club. The Ladies Garden Club organized in 1891, Athens, Georgia. This garden was developed on University of Georgia campus by University’s Landscape Architecture Department and the Garden Club of Georgia.
Erected 1950 by Ladies Garden Club.
Location. 33° 57.314′ N, 83° 22.579′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of South Lumpkin Street and Bocock Street, on the right when traveling north on South Lumpkin Street. Touch for map. The marker is on the western edge of the University of Georgia campus. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Home of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Herty Field (about 400 feet away); Site of First Classes (about 600 feet away); Abraham Baldwin (about 600 feet away); Robert Toombs Oak (about 700 feet away); Old College (about 700 feet away); The Red and Black (about 700 feet away); The Stoneman Raid (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Also see . . . Garden Club of Georgia. The Garden Club of Georgia maintains a site with information on the club, the gardens, and more. (Submitted on September 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.