Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hephzibah, in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Liberty Methodist Church

 
 
Liberty Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
1. Liberty Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Liberty, which evolved out of a Methodist society organized about 1775, is Georgia`s oldest Methodist Church. The original log church was erected west of here by Samuel Collins who, in 1773, had emigrated from Ireland. The present church building is the third on the site and was probably erected about 1810. The first church was called the Sam Collins or S.C. Church. It was begun ten years before the traditional date for the beginning of organized Methodism in Georgia. Bishop Frances Asbury visited the church March 1, 1790.
 
Erected 1971 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-47.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 19.262′ N, 82° 2.272′ W. Marker is in Hephzibah,, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Liberty Church Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2040 Liberty Church Road, Hephzibah GA 30815, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Hephzibah Methodist Church (approx. 3.5 miles
Liberty Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
2. Liberty Methodist Church and Marker
away); Twiggs Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Family Burying Ground on Good Hope Plantation (approx. 4.2 miles away); Spirit Creek Baptist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); William Schley 1786 - 1858 (approx. 6.1 miles away); Author "The Young Marooners" (approx. 7.4 miles away); Tank, Combat, 90MM Gun (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
Regarding Liberty Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Liberty Methodist Church ** (added 1997 - Building - #97001330)
2040 Liberty Church Rd., Hephzibah
Historic Significance: Event
Area of Significance: Architecture, Religion
Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949
 
Additional comments.
1. History lesson
A special thanks to Mr.and Mrs. Broome for access to historic information regarding the Church !
    — Submitted September 6, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Liberty Methodist Church , as seen today image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
3. Liberty Methodist Church , as seen today
Preparing for a fresh painting
Liberty Methodist Church Marker, looking south along Liberty Church Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
4. Liberty Methodist Church Marker, looking south along Liberty Church Road
Liberty Methodist Church Marker, looking north image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
5. Liberty Methodist Church Marker, looking north
Liberty Methodist Church National Register of Historic Places image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
6. Liberty Methodist Church National Register of Historic Places
Liberty Methodist Church
Erected 1804
Placed on the National Register
of Historic Places by the U.S.
Department of the Interior
November 7, 1997
(added 1997 - Building - #97001330)
Liberty Methodist Church Pulput (minus the light) used by Bishop Asbury March 1, 1790. image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
7. Liberty Methodist Church Pulput (minus the light) used by Bishop Asbury March 1, 1790.
Liberty Methodist Church single board bench backs, a rarity today image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
8. Liberty Methodist Church single board bench backs, a rarity today
Liberty Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 5, 2010
9. Liberty Methodist Church
Liberty Church was organized about 1776 by brothers, Stephan and Samuel Collins who had come to this country from Cork County, Ireland prior to 1773. Shortly after the Boston Tea Party of 1773, in which Samuel had a part, the brothers fled to Maryland to escape capture. It was there that they came under the influence of Bishop Frances Asbury, the first Methodist Bishop in America, who later sent the brothers to Georgia as Methodist missionaries.
Settling south of Augusta the brothers started what became known as the Sam Collins Church. Bishop Frances Asbury in his journal of March 1, 1790 recorded that "we crossed at Augusta, in Georgia, and rode to the S.C. church." Sometime later, it is not exactly when, the church was named Liberty.
The two brothers constructed from the first house of worship sometime in the late 1700s. It is not certain exactly when, but in 1804, when Thomas Jefferson was President, and Lewis and Clark were commissioned to explore the N.W. Territory, the present structure was built. It has undergone renovations at times, and is now, but the basic structure still stands as a beacon of God's Grace in south Richmond County.
Liberty is a congregation of dedicated people used by God as his instruments of love in this community ... in a ministry started during the Revolutionary War and continuing until this day! Always looking forward to more and better ways to serve.
(Excerpt from Liberty United Methodist Church )
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 626 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 6, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement