Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prairie Grove in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Lord's Vineyard

 
 
The Lord's Vineyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 30, 2010
1. The Lord's Vineyard Marker
Inscription. This 2-story log house and out-buildings were erected by John Latta about 1834 on Evansville Creek, 12 miles southwest of this spot. The Latta settlement was called Vineyard from "The Lord's Vineyard." Vineyard was the first postoffice in Washington County (1829). John Latta was postmaster from 1835 to 1838 and conducted the office in this house. It was also a stop on the early stage route from Fayetteville and Cane Hill to Van Buren. This house figured in many of the stirring events of pioneer days on the Indian border. The buildings were given to the Washington County Historical Society by F.F. Latta, grandson of the pioneer builder, and were removed to this site in 1958.
 
Erected by State of Arkansas.
 
Location. 35° 58.978′ N, 94° 18.504′ W. Marker is in Prairie Grove, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from East Douglas Street (U.S. 62), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located at stop two, the Latta House, of the driving tour of Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Prairie Grove AR 72753, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morrow House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Wall
The Lord's Vineyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 30, 2010
2. The Lord's Vineyard Marker
(about 500 feet away); Generals James G. Blunt and Francis J. Herron (about 500 feet away); Battlefield Park (about 500 feet away); Rhea's Mill (about 500 feet away); Major General Thomas C. Hindman (about 500 feet away); Battle of Prairie Grove (about 600 feet away); March of the Armies (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prairie Grove.
 
Also see . . .  Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. (Submitted on September 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
The Latta House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 30, 2010
3. The Latta House
Latta Kitchen image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 30, 2010
4. Latta Kitchen
Back of Latta House and Cellar image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 30, 2010
5. Back of Latta House and Cellar
The Latta house was not on the ridge during the battle of Prairie Grove. However four other houses were. Many residents hid in the nearby Morton house in a cellar (about 2000 yards west of the park visitor center). That cellar was likely similar to the Latta cellar seen here (low structure just beside the house)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 767 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement