Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berea in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The “Big Quarry”

 
 
The "Big" Quarry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
1. The "Big" Quarry Marker
Inscription. The photograph looks north to the buildings on East Bridge Street, which constituted the northern boundary of Berea’s sandstone quarries around 1895. The photographer stood approximately where you are standing.

“Gradually the water came, first a little pool, then it rose higher and higher, until at last the workmen gathered up their tools an left the water to fill to the brim this basin they had made in the earth, until that place formerly so full of busy sounds was nothing but a quiet, blue body of water, glimmering in the sunlight.” Anna M. Nokes. “The Big Quarry,” 1895 (Nokes was a Baldwin University student.)
 
Erected 1998 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Berea Historical Society, City of Berea, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 16-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 21.925′ N, 81° 51.099′ W. Marker is in Berea, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Berea Commons. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berea OH 44017, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as
Photograph on the marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
2. Photograph on the marker
the crow flies. Berea Sandstone Quarries (here, next to this marker); The Berea Triangle (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lyceum Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baldwin University (approx. 0.6 miles away); Berea District Seven School (approx. ¾ mile away); Berea Union Depot (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Ark (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berea.
 
Also see . . .  Entry on Berea Sandstone at Ohio History Central. (Submitted on April 20, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & CommerceNatural Resources
 
The same view as the old photograph, today. image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
3. The same view as the old photograph, today.
The "glimmering blue waters." image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
4. The "glimmering blue waters."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,118 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement