Beltsville in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Van Hornís Tavern
Erected 1932 by Brigadier General Rezin Beall Chapter, Maryland Daughters of the American Revolution. Replaced in 1972 by the Maryland Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 39° 2.17′ N, 76° 54.352′ W. Marker is in Beltsville, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1) and Prince Georges Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Baltimore Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beltsville MD 20705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Van Horn's Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ammendale Normal Institute (approx. 1.1 miles away); Beltsville Agricultural Research Center - West (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ebenezer Meeting House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of Rhodesí Tavern (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beltsville.
More about this marker.
Regarding Van Hornís Tavern. Tavern was on Odell Road, off of Old Baltimore Pike. It is no longer standing. Gabriel Peterson Van Horn built the tavern in 1783 for passengers of his stage coach line between Washington and Baltimore.
Also see . . . Wikipedia: Beltsville, Maryland. (Submitted on May 17, 2006.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,425 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 17, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.