Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Copperton in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Copperton Community Methodist Church

 
 
Copperton Community Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 3, 2010
1. Copperton Community Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The one-and-a-half story Copperton Community Methodist Church building was constructed in 1942. It was originally sited at the Kearns Army Base, located approximately three miles northeast of Copperton, and was moved to its current location in 1948. The building was designed using standardized military plans and reflects a Colonial Revival style similar to New England Protestant churches. The building, significant for its association with Kearns Army Base, was originally one of four chapels located at the base servicing military personnel. Since its move from Kearns to Copperton, the building has been owned by the Methodist Church. Since 1957, when the church fully combined services with the Bingham Methodist Church and with the Highland Boy Community House, it has been the primary Methodist Church serving west Salt Lake county. The chapel is the first and only Methodist meetinghouse in Copperton. When the historic building was originally moved to Copperton in 1948, it was given the title Copperton Community Methodist Church. In 1957 it was changed to the St. Paul Community Methodist Church, and today is known as the St. Paul United Methodist Church.
 
Erected 2007 by Utah State Historical Society.
 
Location. 40° 33.757′ N, 112° 
Church Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 3, 2010
2. Church Entrance
Marker is visible to the right of the entrance door.
5.757′ W. Marker is in Copperton, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of Hillcrest Street and 400 East, on the right when traveling east on Hillcrest Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 East Hillcrest Street, Bingham Canyon UT 84006, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Honoring with Glory (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bingham City Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Town of Bingham Canyon (approx. 3.3 miles away); Stamp Mill Foundation (approx. 3.3 miles away); Bingham Canyon (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fort Herriman (approx. 4.4 miles away); Pioneer Rock Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Thomas Butterfield (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Copperton.
 
Regarding Copperton Community Methodist Church. This building was a former Army chapel during World War II on nearby Kearns Army Base. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, World II
 
Copperton Community Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 3, 2010
3. Copperton Community Methodist Church
Copperton Community Methodist Church Interior image. Click for full size.
National Register of Historic Places
4. Copperton Community Methodist Church Interior
Several additional photos of both exterior and interior are available at the National Register of Historic Places NPS Website.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. This page has been viewed 781 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118.   4. submitted on September 18, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement