Moscow in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Incorporated in 1856. Was stage stop on the Nacogdoches - Liberty Road. Site of several famous schools. Has had free school system since 1851.
A cannery for vegetables and fruit and Bible column factory (making architectural pillars) were early industries. In 1881 became important railroad town. Its seven-mile Moscow, Camden & San Augustine is one of the shortest railroads in Texas.
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 10413.)
Location. 30° 55.188′ N, 94° 49.655′ W. Marker is in Moscow, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 350 and Loop Route 177, on the right when traveling west on Road 350. Touch for map. Located about 0.25 mile west of US 59. Marker is in this post office area: Moscow TX 75960, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Texas Statesman William Pettus Hobby (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moscow Male and Female Academy E.C. Matthews Home (about 800 feet away); John Wesley Hardin (1853-1895) (approx. 4 miles away); Town of Corrigan (approx. 5½ miles away); Whitehead Home (approx. 11.3 miles away); Greenfield Cemetery (approx. 15 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moscow.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.