Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Jordan in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

West Jordan Pioneer Church

 
 
West Jordan Pioneer Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jack Duffy, circa August 2010
1. West Jordan Pioneer Church Marker
Inscription. In 1859, to replace a log church house, Bishop Archibald Gardner chose Elias Morris as architect of this red sandstone and granite church. On May 15, 1861, the cornerstone was laid. Proceeds from a military ball attended by L.D.S. authorities including Brigham Young, Fort Douglas Officers and others, completed the $10,000 building dedicated August 11, 1867 by Wilford Woodruff. Leased and restored by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1937.
 
Erected 1967 by Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, Archibald Gardner Camp. (Marker Number 332.)
 
Location. 40° 36.482′ N, 111° 55.506′ W. Marker is in West Jordan, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 7800 South (State Highway 48) and 1140 West. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1137 W 7800 South, West Jordan UT 84088, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. West Jordan (here, next to this marker); North Jordan Canal (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); West Jordan Settlement (about 500 feet away); Utah Idaho Sugar Factory (approx. 0.9 miles away); Salt Lake and Utah Railroad
West Jordan Pioneer Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jack Duffy, August 2010
2. West Jordan Pioneer Church and Marker
Two markers are seen on the building. This marker is located to the right of the entrance door, and the "West Jordon" marker is located on the far right corner of the building.
(approx. 0.9 miles away); The Old School House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Mingo Smelter (approx. 2.3 miles away); South Jordan Settlement (approx. 3.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Jordan.
 
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on the east side of the church building located just east of the West Jordan City Cemetery.
 
Regarding West Jordan Pioneer Church. This building is on the National Register of Historic Places as the West Jordan Ward Meetinghouse.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
West Jordan Pioneer Church image. Click for full size.
By Jack Duffy, August 2010
3. West Jordan Pioneer Church
West Jordan Pioneer Church is Now Called Pioneer Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, August 24, 2010
4. West Jordan Pioneer Church is Now Called Pioneer Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2010, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. This page has been viewed 1,114 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on September 20, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2010, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah.   4. submitted on August 29, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement