Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Saint Bartley Primitive Baptist Church

Located here 1872-1964

 

—Oldest Negro congregation in Alabama —

 
Saint Bartley Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 2, 2010
1. Saint Bartley Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized 1820 by William Harris, a slave, who was minister more than 50 years. Original church, called Huntsville African Baptist, stood 4 blocks south in Old Georgia Graveyard. In 1870, this church and 3 others formed Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Association. Congregation occupied brick church on this site 1872-1964. In 1965, moved to new building, 3020 Belafonte Ave., N.W. Present name honors Bartley Harris, saintly second minister. Other pastors: Felix Jordan, Eli Patton, Richard Moore, Amos Robinson.
 
Erected 1970 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 34° 43.62′ N, 86° 35.116′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Williams Avenue east of Gallatin Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Huntsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Twickenham Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alabama’s Constitution And Statehood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norwegian Light Beacon And Fog Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Erected in 1835
Saint Bartley Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 2, 2010
2. Saint Bartley Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Looking West along Williams Avenue; intersection at Gallatin Street in background.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Site - Alabama’s First Constitutional Convention (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Hunt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northern Terminus Indian Creek Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
More about this marker. Originally dedicated 20 September 1970, the present marker was refurbished and dedicated in 2000.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 20, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement