Near Boulder Junction in Vilas County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Early in 1911, a civil service examination was given and the first forest rangers were appointed. Their primary duties were to initiate a tree planting program to protect forest lands from fire. Both of these activities have now spread over the entire state.
It was on this site that the first seed beds (pine of local origin) were sown. Although some preparatory work had been done in 1910, the ground was actually broken in 1911. The first planting stock was lifted in 1913.
Any measure of success which has been or will ever be attained in the restoration of the forest resources in this state had its tangible beginning here.
Erected 1963 by the Wisconsin Conservation Department. (Marker Number 123.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 2.85′ N, 89° 39.264′ W. Marker is near Boulder Junction, Wisconsin, in Vilas Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4085-4145 Forest Headquarters Road, Boulder Junction WI 54512, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Forest Patrol Flight (approx. 1.2 miles away); Snowmobile (approx. 7.2 miles away); Devils Lake Vista Subcontinental Divide (approx. 10.6 miles away); Dr. Kate Pelham Newcomb (approx. 10.7 miles away); The Million Penny Parade (approx. 10.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 11 miles away).
Also see . . . Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Division of Forestry. (Submitted on September 21, 2010.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 21, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.