Near Cambridge in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1844 at the request of pioneer Norwegian immigrants newly-ordained Johannes Wilhelm Christian Dietrichson came to Koshkonong from Norway. Under his leadership congregations were established and log churches built at both East and West Koshkonong. During his pastorate (1844-1850) Dietrichson traveled widely and organized a number of other congregations in the pioneer communities of Wisconsin and Illinois.
Both community and church prospered with the steady flow of Norwegian immigrants. Koshkonong became known as "Queen of the Norwegian settlements in America" and for a time in the 1870's hers was the largest single parish in the Norwegian Lutheran Church, numbering over 4300 members in the several congregations.
As a result of the predestination controversy in the 1880's both the Koshkonong congregations split resulting in four congregations in place of the former two. The merger of three Norwegian church bodies in 1917 largely restored spiritual unity to the Koshkonong community.
Erected 1969 by the Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 11.)
Marker series. Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 57.177′ N, 89° 2.885′ W. Marker is near Cambridge, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on East Church Road 0.4 miles west of Hillside Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 454 East Church Street Road, Cambridge WI 53523, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rockdale Mill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lake Ripley (approx. 4.2 miles away); Albion Academy (approx. 5.2 miles away); Sterling North (approx. 5.2 miles away); West Koshkonong Lutheran Congregation (approx. 6 miles away); Bovre Congregation (approx. 6.7 miles away); Lorine Niedecker (approx. 7.9 miles away); East Park Historic District (approx. 8.6 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is between the two East Koshkonong church buildings that were built during the split in the East Koshkonong congregation. The West Koshkonong church is located a few miles to the northwest.
Also see . . .
1. East Koshkonong Church. (Submitted on September 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Western Koshkonong Church. (Submitted on September 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
3. West Koshkonong Lutheran Church. (Submitted on April 10, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 950 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 25, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 10, 11. submitted on April 8, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 12. submitted on April 10, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.