Near West Lafayette in Tippecanoe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of the Birth Place of Rev. Anthony Foucher
of the West.
July 22, 1741 —— June 12, 1812
Erected 1961 by The Catholic Womens Study Club.
Location. 40° 24.382′ N, 86° 57.813′ W. Marker is near West Lafayette, Indiana, in Tippecanoe County. Marker is on South River Road west of County Road 300 W, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located to the right of the East Entrance of Fort Ouiatenon Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: West Lafayette IN 47906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Quiatenon (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Tree (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Ouiatenon Site (about 500 feet away); The Wea Plains (approx. 3.3 miles away); Scott's Expedition (approx. 3.3 miles away); History - Main Street Bridge (approx. 3½ miles away); John T. Myers (approx. 3.6 miles away); Iraq War Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Lafayette.
Regarding Site of the Birth Place of Rev. Anthony Foucher. The first religion of Indiana was that of the Roman Catholic Church, brought by those missionaries
In 1719 at Fort Ouiatenon on the Wabash below the present Lafayette, then at Fort Miami where Fort Wayne now stands, and finally in 1733 at Poste au Ouabache (later and still known as Vincennes), Jesuit missionaries were established almost continuously down to 1763. On 22 July, 1741, at Fort Ouiatenon was born a child, Anthony Foucher, who was destined to be the first native of the State to receive Holy orders.
(Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07738a.htm - Catholic Encyclopedia)
Also see . . . Fort Ouiatenon National Historic Site. (Submitted on October 3, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 759 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the Flags. • Can you help?