Near Eagar in Apache County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
26 Bar Hereford Ranch
Erected 2002 by Round Valley Positive Action Tourism Committee and Springerville-Eagar Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour marker series.
Location. 34° 6.562′ N, 109° 19.555′ W. Marker is near Eagar, Arizona, in Apache County. Marker is at the intersection of School Bus Road and West Central Avenue (Arizona Route 260), on the right when traveling south on School Bus Road. Touch for map. Marker is about 150 feet south of West Central Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Eagar AZ 85925, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colter Ranch (within shouting distance of this marker); Amity School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Grist Mill Site (approx. 1.2 miles away); Snyder-Cavanaugh Shoot Out (approx. 1.2 miles away); Eagar Elementary School Oscar Jepson Home (approx. 2 miles away); Harry Colter Home (approx. 2 miles away); Joseph Udall Barn (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagar.
More about this marker. This is Marker Stop #8 on the Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour.
Regarding 26 Bar Hereford Ranch. After retiring from the U.S. Forest Service around 1914, D.C. Martin moved his family into a three-room frame house purchased from John C. Hall. He farmed using water from the Amity Ditch and raised cattle along the nearby Little Colorado River. His wife Edith, who taught at the nearby Amity School, reared her family here for nearly thirty years. They sold the farm in 1941.
The small farm became the nucleus in the 1940’s of the famous Milky Way Hereford Ranch owned and developed by Alan Feeney and his wife, who were from the Mars Candy family. They named it for their popular candy bar.
In 1964 John Wayne, the movie star, bought the Milky Way along with 930 acres of the adjacent Colter’s Cross Bar Ranch. He formed the 26 Bar Hereford Ranch. Wayne and his partners added additional acreage
The original D.C. Martin house is no longer standing, and after Wayne’s death the ranch was sold Tom Chauncey who carried on the proud tradition. Following Chauncey’s death the ranch was sold to the Hopi Tribe who converted the headquarters into a Bed & Breakfast and continue to graze Hereford cattle on the 64,000 acres of prime Arizona ranch land.
Source: Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour Brochure.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 3,224 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.